Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Metamorphosis

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka was a great novella. I believed that it had so much thought and emotion in it that although we found it to be out of the ordinary it made it that much more interesting. Kafka intended his novellas to be different. He wanted to go beyond what was expected and allowed during that time and allow all, the freedom to express themselves. In The Metamorphosis the main character was Gregor. Gregor was a grown man that all his life was expected to support his family with no ones help. Gregor woke up one morning and had become a human size bug. To any other person this might have been a shock but not to Gregor he seemed to be perfectly fine with it. Gregor had become the burden of his family rather then the provider he always was. He was something that needed to be taken care of and be given food. His family had no more use for him and no longer cared for him therefore they didn't care or mind when Gregor died. Gregor's family showed no emotion and simply got rid of him and they carried on with their lives. I believe I enjoyed this so much because it left you in suspense. You never know if Gregor was really physically a bug or he just believed he was. Gregor was always living the life his family needed him to live. This novella shows that Gregor became a bug because he wanted to be different he wanted to be able to do something else besides work all the time and provide while his father stole. He lived his life everyday the same way and needed change. Kafka often expressed his own life in his novellas. He too wanted to let things out and be different. I am very interested in Kafka's ways and would read many more of his novellas.

3 comments:

  1. Kafka wrote novellas and short stories that differentiated from the norm. He wasn't an ordinary writer, his brilliance exceeded that of any intellect. In "The Metamorphosis", he tells a story about a young man transforming into an insect overnight but the logical idea behind it, is fascinating. The need to escape boundaries set by society and finding your self worth is present throughout the novella, making it far more interesting than it may seem at first. It has become a controversial issue if whether or not Gregor morphed into an insect or simply believed that he had through insanity. The contexts in the story make the reader believe he has been an insect all along but reading between the lines reveals something else; on the contrary that he may possibly be insane but no one is certain except for the great Kafka himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested in kafkas writings myself and believe he has a very different style then other authors. But you have a very different look on the book then others do which impresses me most. I never really thought of this novella leaving me in suspense but when I think about it, it has left me in suspense. When I finished the reading I kept thinking to myself if he really was an actual insect or not, but after many class discussions about the reading I finally realized that this novella is trying to prove more of a point then having a storyline. This novella shows not to neglect your children and treat them any different then you would want to be treated, just like he was mistreated because he was an actual insect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reaction sounds much more like a movie review than a literary analysis.

    Grade: 3/4

    ReplyDelete