Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Does technology really help us?

Does technology really help us?
So many people these days own sidekicks and blackberry's including my self, but why? They have managed to put cameras, aim, games, calculator, etc. on to one tiny hand held object, of course it is handy to have but how much trouble do cell phones really get you into?
I believe that cell phones have to be one of the worst inventions. There are many reasons as to why I believe this and only one reason as to why they would be good and helpful. One reason that are good to have is in case of an emergency. If something ever happens you know There is a phone right in your pocket where you could easily call for help. Back in the days before cell phones people would just use house phones. They would be more active and talk to people face to face. Cell phones today keep us occupied sitting on our butts, talking to 10 people at one time. You have aim on your phone and texting, people never really have a civilized conversation. A proper and intellectual conversation involves actually hearing voices, hearing their emotions on a subject. Cell phones limit this greatly. When you I'm people or text people you never really know if what they are saying is nasty or sarcastic. So many things can be taken the wrong way. If you talk to a person to much you are eventually going to have an argument,and someone in eventually going to get misunderstood. I believe that cell phones numb our brains down. We talk in "I'm" using abbreviations and never really have a true conversation. We are limiting ourselves

7 comments:

  1. I agree with what you are saying. It's true, cell phones and other types of technology these days do limit our skills such as using our brain for math instead of typing a bunch of numbers in a calulator a pressing a button. What's also true with what you are saying is when you i.m people or text your not really having a deep conversation with emotions involved unless your face to face.
    Another downside to texting or i.ming is when your talking to someone and you say something in a way and the other takes it wrong because they can not see the expression on your face. I have seen many arguements and fights occur over what he/she said online to the other person and someone may of taken it the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all depends on how you want to use the phone. I dont use mine to text but then again i dont use mine at all. I dont think that the cell phone is the worst piece of technology. Its actually very happy. You did make good points on how text messaging is a problem. That I agree with because your right its much more productive to call and actually talk on the phone. In a way it is numbing our brains, even here I have to correct myself because im used to writing the way I would on aim. Some people go to the extent where they use the aim "language" outside in real life.The cell phone is perfect for communicating one on one (not in text messages) because you can talk to anyone of your friends no matter where they are. That's what a cell phone is made to be but the newer phones like side kicks and black berries are used mainly for text messaging. They do have a full keyboard so that's why people buy them. So does technology really help us?. I think it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't agree with you on your opinion that the cellphones have to be one of the worst inventions, on the contrary I think cellphones are one of the greatest inventions. Technology is advancing immensely making everything easier for people. Cellphones allow to you call, text, IM, and BBM with the touch of a keyboard. You no longer have to wait until you get home to write something to your friend or your professor, you can easily email it to them from your cellular device. I do agree with your statement that technology is making the world a smaller place because we are excessively using them instead of physically interacting with people and openly conversing. However, they provide us with great amounts of useful information and entertainment. I love my sidekick because it's like my personal computer at the palm of my hand. For school and educational purposes, when I'm stuck on a word I look it up on merriamwebster.com or I research a topic on wikipedia.com. It depends on how the technology is being used and what people are using them for, that could also serve for educational purposes. You claimed that technology is numbing our brains, specifically cellphones but why is it that everyone wants the new blackberry, apparently because it provides the server with the most advanced technologic use. People are not losing their intelligence because of these inventions, in fact some people are getting brighter. Inventors come up with new technology every month, one that exceeds the previous. Outstanding technology is invented from people with brilliance. Technology has had a challenging effect on some people that seek to outdo the newest inventions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 50 and 50 on your blog. I don't agree with 100% on with you. But texting and IMing became the best thing for the deaf and hard of hearing World. Its faster, more reliable and easier to keep in touch with someone then using TTY. I never personal use TTY but texting and IMing is my favorite thing to keep on touch with my friends. I represent both world, Hard of hearing and Hearnig.

    The only part I agreed with you is the part when people limited themselves with texting and IMing and their language changed because of the cell phones. Also when people over-texting alot, they also limited themselves with their social skills with their families and friends, they don't know how to talk face to face anymore because they are relying on the cell phones. Sounds like they are lowing their self esteem.

    Technologies does help us in a way, depending how we use them. If we use for keeping in touch and educational skills, they are good reasons, the rest are not. Computers and cell phones are the best technology that ever created.

    I use my sidekick for keeping in touch with my families and friends and education use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate cell phones. They have ruined our interpersonal skills.

    Grade: 3/4

    ReplyDelete