Sunday, May 17, 2009

Age

Age is nothing but a number. What exactly determines that when we are 18 we are adults, is it science?There are so many things in our life that are all determined by our age such as when we are legally allowed to drive all the way to when we are expected to retire. Who made these decisions?
Over the years these things have become laws by which we all follow. So many things don't make sense like we are allowed to vote at 18 but we are not allowed to drink. I personally know that the past election was very important and a lot of teenagers were upset for the fact that they couldn't take part in the election due to the fact that they were under 18. They too had been following the news and had extreme interest but never had a chance to make a change that they believed in. I understand that of course a child does not have the mentality to make such decisions but what is the difference between a 17 year old and an 18 year old?
Maturity comes with the years, the older you are the more experience you have. I suppose that is why they pick the oldest age as possible. The reason the driving age went from 17 to 18. We don't have much say when it comes to things like this, they just are what they are.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    I agree with you on this one. Supposedly, according to science, at 18 we are mature and a certain part of our brain has fully developed. But there are so many things that we are allowed to do at 18 that do not coincide with the things we are not allowed to do. We are allowed to smoke, vote, and drive but we are not allowed to drink.

    It makes absolutely no sense to me but I guess people follow what the government says because the government is always right. The government knows what they are doing, they are here to protect us and we should not question anything and let things be.... I guess it works... Haha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I respect your opinion, a line has to be drawn. Yes, 17 and 18 are not much different. Neither are 16 and 17 and so on. How can we decide then? Or should 11 year olds vote?

    Grade: 3/4

    ReplyDelete